Home |  News |  Conferences |  Commodities |  Publications |  Business Directory |  Resources |  Help
Go to the MEI Online homepage

 
Search Site:

MEI Online: Plant Operation News: Africa: January 13th 2003

 
 

Click for more info on Process Mineralogy '20

  

:: Ticor Slag Smelter to Start Up in March

The first furnace at Ticor SA's Empangeni heavy-minerals project in KwaZulu-Natal has been handed over, and is expected to be commissioned in March. The project was previously some three months ahead of schedule, but water damage to the refractory lining, discovered during the initial pre-heating, has necessitated the replacement of the refractories. 'Despite this, we expect arc-up to occur at the end of the first quarter of 2003' said Ticor managing director Rod Ruston. Construction is well under way on the second furnace, which is scheduled for completion early in 2004. With both furnaces in full operation, Ticor SA will produce 250 kt of titania slag and 140 kt of pig iron per annum. Kumba Resources has a 60% stake in the project, with the remaining 40% being held by Australian company Ticor Ltd.

 

 

   

Select the list(s) you'd like to join below, enter your email address, choose a content format and click "Join."
[more info]


MEI Online Update
MEI Online Job Vacancies

HTML Text

© 1998-2017, Minerals Engineering International


Email: amanda@min-eng.com